Thursday, December 25, 2014

Happy Birthday Jesus

What a wonderful time of the year it is when we get to celebrate the birth of our glorious Savior Jesus Christ. You can't help but marvel over the fact that He left a throne in Heaven to be born here on earth not to receive gifts but to deliver one, our salvation.

The King of kings didn't need the help of the postal system, UPS, Amazon, google, Bing or anything else to deliver what He had to give us. All He needed was a humble couple and a manger full of straw and future hearts willing to accept what He has to offer.

An offer that comes with something good for all year around not just for a day. An offer stamped with the approval of Heaven waiting for us to collect. A door to Heaven, a passage way through the stars, our own manger surrounded by saints rejoicing and angels proclaiming the joy of our King.

The Christmas we have made it out to be can be hectic, a time of loneliness, pain, a hassle we can't wait to get passed. Instead of searching for the Christ child we are more in search for bargains, ways to get things done, how many minutes does it take to cook a turkey, and how soon to decorate and how quickly those decorations should come down. We pick up on the political correction of it but miss what Christmas should mean to us.

It is a gift not to be given but one to be received. In 2010 when I was diagnosed with cancer on the 13th of December it changed our whole Christmas. Instead of a tree being lit up it was my scans that revealed me lighting up like a Christmas tree where all the cancer spots were in my body. Soon money we had set aside for presents, food, and things was used for medicine, tests, biopsies, and such. It felt as if a tragedy had caused us to miss Christmas.

Shame on me to think or feel such a thing knowing what Christmas is all about. I hadn't missed Christmas. Life hadn't cancelled the event. No storm big enough could close the doors to the stable where Christ was born.

I wasn't forgotten, I was remembered. I wasn't alone, I had a traveling companion Jesus Christ that was walking my family and I through a dark time. Four years later He is still there walking along beside me. No longer a babe in a manger but a King at the throne of my heart.

The real tragedy is when we don't accept His gift by not allowing Him into our lives. Leaving Him merely as a babe in a manger with no other purpose in our lives but to give us an excuse to shop, travel, and eat.

It may be Happy Birthday Jesus but its also Blessed salvation for us if we would only accept His invitation and invite Him into our hearts, actions, choices, attitude, and every other area of our lives.

Love you Jesus. Happy Birthday King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

No comments: