Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Big Comeback ~~~~In Udder Words Tuesday


Thou hast bathed me once for all in the sin-removing fountain, cleanse me now from this day’s defilement, from its faults, deficiencies of virtue, harmful extremes, that I may exhibit a perfect character in Jesus.

 

As I got up this morning the first thing I did was look down at my spiritual attire from yesterday. Stains from the behavior of days gone past still told their stories as they stared back at me. As I worked my way to my front porch to listen to God via the birds and the sounds of the other farm creatures and through my heart I began to pray for a needed comeback.

 

First order of business was to thank the Lord for bathing me already in the sin-removing fountain of Christ’s blood that cleared a very dirty slate. No matter how hard I try, like Paul in the Bible spoke about I seem to keep on sinning even when I don’t want to. It’s like in the fight between the flesh and the spirit the flesh seems to win a little too much.

 

Oh how I would like to be like the football team that is down 42-6 and the stadium clears out and goes home figuring it was a worthless cause to stay. Yet the team comes back to win 42-48. A victory that would shock the world the next day as the headliners in the paper blared out the results of a great comeback.

 

Thanks to God and the sin-removing fountain of the blood of Christ who died for us the ability to make that big comeback is ours. We can exhibit a perfect character in Jesus. It would be wonderful if this instantly happened the first time we accepted Christ into our lives but it doesn’t work that way. It’s something that we constantly need to be working on. As long as we are alive there will always be the rivalry game between the flesh and the spirit.

 

No matter how far down we get we have to keep on fighting to make that big comeback that shocks the world. With God as our coach and the Bible as our plan of action we are eventually going to win but we will never win without a fight. The choice is ours on whether we want to be the people in the stadium who give up and go home or the ones who are left fighting on the field who refuse to quit.

 

We need to refuse to quit. Instead we must strive for the big response in Christ that can be ours. A victory that is ours not just for a season but forever thanks to our ability to accomplish a big comeback in Christ.

 

© 2013 Karen J Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing       In Udder Words Tuesday

No comments: