Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Perfect Peace


True peace comes from embracing what is, not from ceaseless striving to change everything around me to make my life more safe, secure, comfortable.” Dan Meadows in the Mosaic




Recently making a comeback from the 60’s is the famous peace sign. My grandkids love it. For every picture we try to take someone can be seen giving the peace sign to the camera. One day I told them, ‘You know what? You guys have no idea what that even means. What true peace is all about?”


Stunned at grandma’s bluntness they stared at me like lost puppies. “It means no wars, doesn’t it grandma?” one of them quietly spoke up. “Yes and no,” I replied. During the times in which we are not involved in wars, that is called a ‘time of peace.’ But the main thing about peace is the peace we receive from within. Peace that comes from God alone.” I told them. Still looking like they didn’t understand I went on to explain.

Just like those 8, 10, and 11 year olds many people don’t understand what true peace is all about. The peace that is everlasting and untouchable. Peace that stems from embracing what is so we don’t have to think we need to change everything around us that can’t be altered.

Truth be known, probably everyone can pinpoint a time in their life when they couldn’t feel the peace of God. I know I can. Like it or not life can get complicated and Satan uses these moments to blur that vision of finding God’s peace. In my case, one day as I shared my tears with the church secretary she shared with me a scripture. It was a verse someone showed her when she was going through a similar situation that cleared her vision.

The scripture was found in Isaiah 26:3,4 that says, “You (God) will keep in perfect peace him (anyone) whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You (God). Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, THE Lord is the Rock eternal.” Perfect peace! Doesn’t that sound appetizing? At the time I was struggling in my turmoil the idea of perfect peace was the key I was looking for but the last thing I could find.

I couldn’t find it because I wasn’t doing my part. I needed to trust the Lord to deal with my situation that would in turn eventually accomplish the steadfast mind leading to the promise of perfect peace.

Wow, it’s that simple. Trust God and receive a steadfast mind. A mind that is unwavering, unfaltering, committed, persistent, dedicated, and unswerving. I can do that! Wrong! In the midst of our troubles and turmoil’s the last thing our mind feels like is, “unwavering.” Thrust into a tailspin by the world and all that comes with it we easily get caught in the undercurrent and it makes it difficult to get out and establish that steadfast mind.

No matter what the struggle we need to stand by the fact that we can trust the Lord. It’s our job to claim daily His promises to never leave us nor forsake us. Allowing the knowledge that He is with us to dominate the feelings we may feel inside that have us in our wild and crazy and exhausting spin zone.

The truth is found also in Phil 4:4-7 when it says, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again; Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

We have our part which is pretty minimal when compared to what God does for us when we are willing to do what we need to do. Trust in the Lord. The Lord who is the Rock eternal!

Peace! God’s kind of peace, the perfect kind. Amen? Amen!!!!!

Our host today is Tami over at The Next Step. Run on over there as usual and get to sharing and reading what others have to say about today’s great quote. In the process stay out of the spin zone and stick with God.

Picture compliments of Cody, Anthony, Brooke, Aubrey, and Marissa

3 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Ah, yes...my lack of peace comes when I forget to do my part...trust him. Thanks for the reminder!

Tami said...

Trusting God gives us a steadfast mind which brings peace . . . EVENTUALLY, as you said. I expect to pray and instantly receive peace, but God says to lean on Him and He'll get me there. Good words.

Debbie Petras said...

You are such a wise grandma Karen! How true your words are to them. And I love that Scripture verse in Isaiah.

Blessings and love,
Debbie