Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Running Wounded

No wound? No scar? Yet as the Master shall the servant be, And pierced are the feet that follow Me; But thine are whole. Can he have followed far who has no wound nor scar? ~~ Amy Carmichael


Isn’t it funny how we think we can get through life without any wounds or scars? Too often we reason with the fact that Christ was the one wounded therefore we don’t have to be. We need to wake up and realize that wounds happen. Everyone is going to have their “scars” to heal and live with.


I love my Sunday school preschool kids. The boys are so cute when they get to comparing their scars received over the week. There always seems to be a skinned up knee or elbow to show off to the other boys who try to top each other’s wounds.


My grandson is one of those boys. He thinks he has the scar that could beat any other wound story in class. On his leg remains the reminder of the time when he was one-year-old and was burnt severely by McDonald’s coffee and air-lifted to a burn center 200 miles away.


It doesn’t matter who has the most wounds or who gets the prize for the “biggest” scar. The important part is in the healing. We can’t be afraid to get in and do certain things like witnessing for Christ in fear of being wounded. “Oh, what if someone says something to me or what if this happens.”


Revisiting the Garden of Gethsemane we find Christ was concerned about what was ahead of Him. Who could ever forget His prayer? “If this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.” In other words, “Not my will but Yours be done.” Its been said that the word BUT erases everything that came before it. In this case that is a good thing. In our cases it’s usually used to make excuses. “I would give more to the church BUT I need a new car. I would love to serve in the soup line BUT I just don’t have the time to go there.” No one likes to be wounded for any reason but (oh there’s that word again) it’s what we do with our wounds that make them important.


Recently as I was observing my daughter and things she was going through raising her four kids I noticed how she appeared to be “running wounded.” As life was throwing up one blow after another she was unable to recover from one before the next hit. She had no time to heal from the first therefore she was, “running wounded.” What was important was the fact that she kept on going, eventually the healing came, the scars formed but she was way ahead in life.


We need to keep on going and learn how to keep on “running wounded” until the healing comes. We can do this when we realize the person running along beside us has His own wound and scars such as it says, “pierced are the feet that follow me.”


I don’t know about you but I’m not proud of a lot of my wounds but I’m proud of my scars because of the healing they represent. Healing God has helped me with as He nursed my wounds and tended to my hurts. It begins with turning to Him and lifting up our wound before Him like a young child asking their daddy or mommy to kiss their “owie.”


We don’t have to run wounded forever if we run along side of God. Believe it or not healing is a choice. We can allow God to heal our emotional and spiritual wounds or we can sit around picking off the scabs before the scar of healing has a chance to even form. Sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves keeping our wounds open inviting in further infections and deeper damage.


Trust me, I’ve been there and done that and all I got was a deeper wound. Run wounded to God, stay there beside Him until the healing comes! For once again, pierced is the feet that follow me, He knows what its like to be wounded.


© 2011 Karen J Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

1 comment:

Marsha Young said...

Guess we are all running wounded, one way or another.

Glad you have kept going ...blessings to you - Marsha