Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It Depends

  “And why should the good of anyone depend on the prayer of another? I can only answer with the return question. ‘Why should my love be powerless to help another?’ ~ George MacDonald

“It depends.” How often have we heard that in our lives? “We will go to the coast but it “depends” on this or that. We might be able to buy  a new car but it “depends” on if I get my raise at work.” We even use that phrase on our kids. “Can I go to the dance this weekend mom?’ ‘Well it depends.”


The picture really gets dark and dim when we think of the fact that we also use this phrase on God. “I will be good to the person but it depends on how nice they are to me. I will give to the church but it depends on if I get what I want first.”


In life some things do depend on other situations or circumstances. However, when it comes to being good that is something that should never depend on anything except the fact we need to do it, no conditions attached. Our Christianity and the things we are suppose to be in Christ should never “depend” on something else. If you think about it and tear apart this formula we have created the “something else” always is centered on us getting something first THEN the later can happen.


It’s like the Psalmist who writes in the Bible, “God if you do this for me I will praise you.” No, we need to praise the Lord no matter what, not add a condition to it. Imagine that prayer, “God I will praise you but it depends on if my husband gets that job he applied for.”


What part of the word “No!” don’t we understand. When we allow our attitude and Christianity to be controlled by our circumstances then we have a problem. We are the ones that need to be in control. Recently as my husband applied for a job I read Phil 4:4-7 that talks about being anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication WITH thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. THEN the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus.


After reading that scripture I had to stop and examine my prayers asking myself, “Did I pray with thanksgiving or just a laundry list of why I thought my husband should be hired.” Behind the scene was I saving the “thanksgiving” part of the verse for after the “Depends on if my husband gets hired or not” clause.


To make sure I did it correctly I prayed once more and with thanksgiving as well. It felt good. I even made up a mock prayer praying for someone’s mom’s knee surgery to see if I could pray with thanksgiving with all my prayers. It was a good exercise for my heart.


This morning the news of my husband’s job came in. He did not get the job. Eleven long years of only hit and miss jobs will continue on. However, my goodness, my thankfulness, my gratitude and praise to the Lord doesn’t depend on the answer being “Yes.” As much as the job would have helped life, what I have with God is of more value. I can’t imagine waking up this morning thinking, “Well God no praise for you today because it depended on whether Don got the job or not. Good day, maybe tomorrow.” Yuk, it brings tears to my eyes to even think of such an attitude, to think my fingers could even type such a thing.


What I want is God to be able to depend on me not me living my life around made up conditions of if A doesn’t happen then B won’t happen either. I want the “depend” to be on me, that God and His kingdom can count on me no matter what the circumstance, no matter what the situation.


The best part of it all is the fact that we can depend on God. Amen? Amen!!!


**Before starting this today I didn’t know what I wanted to say about the quote. I just couldn’t come up with something to say. I prayed to God to take my fingers and give them something to say. Once I got started I couldn’t shut up. God is awesome isn’t He? Imagine if He was one of those who waited around for the “depends” to happen. We’d never be saved!


© 2011 Karen J Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

No comments: