Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Buckets of Grace

Lord I crawled across the barrenness to you with my empty cup uncertain in asking any small drop of refreshment. If only I had known you better I’d have come running with a bucket.” -Nancy Spiegelberg


In life there seems to be those who run on the top half of their gas tank and those who live on the bottom. I was the type who lived off the bottom half. Recently I’ve been trying to change my ways and live on the top half. Doing so by filling my vehicle when it gets down to half instead of listening for the warning light to signal I need a refill.


Years ago that was the way it felt like I was living my life as well, off of empty. I would struggle during the week trying to survive on what fumes I could get and go to church to get a refill of strength. Sitting there come Sunday morning to comfort myself I would imagine myself sitting there with a gasoline tank nozzle stuck in my ear to take in more fuel from the Sunday service. It really got funny when I tried visualized the rest of the congregation doing the same thing.


I have to confess I came with a small gas tank. I was only after enough strength, grace, and peace to get me through the week. Often I got much more than that. It took me awhile but I finally turned in my red one gallon container for a much larger bucket as the strength I was given was more than I anticipated.


Shame on us for not knowing the Lord better, not anticipating that He could give us much more than we ask for or require. David Jeremiah once said, “God has a bigger shovel than our little shovel. We can’t out give God.” God has a bigger gas tank than the little thing we carry around. His has no bottom; there is no top half or bottom half.


It all has to do with our attitude. We can come to Him arrogantly expecting Him to give us all we want and will for. Then if we don’t get it we throw our little temper tantrum and declare there must not be a god. However, the better way to come to Him is humble, seeking, and trusting as we request access to whatever He has to give us. When approached correctly we find buckets full of grace in place of tiny tin cups of hope.


Praise the Lord we can’t out give, out stretch, out source what God has available to us if we would only come to Him. If we only knew Him as we should. Often you’ll find God has more faith in us than we do in Him. Shame on us. Praises on Him.




© 2011 Karen J Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

1 comment:

Marsha Young said...

Isn't it odd that although we have a choice as to how to live, whether to live in abundance or to live "running on empty" - we often choose the latter?

We know it is counter-productive, but we do it any way. Glad you decided to run on the top half of your tank this week. God bless you - Marsha