Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Reminder

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 ESV



In the start of the book of Joshua we find God giving Joshua his pep talk. After the death of Moses Joshua was the chosen new leader to lead the Israelites into the Promise Land. God encouragingly told him that no one was going to be able to stand before him because God was with him as He was with Moses. Therefore, He tells Joshua to be strong and courageous. After stating a few more things to Joshua God went back to reinforce the part about being strong and courageous while telling him to not be frightened or dismayed.


Why the reinforcement on that one issue? Was there something in Joshua’s eyes that made God re-enforce this message to him? Did he have doubt in his heart, hesitation in his actions, and insecurity in his own self that God thought He needed to repeat what He had already promised?

You would think the message of “I will be with you wherever you go” would have been enough of a message for him or anyone to put a spring in their steps with no need of reinforcement. Unfortunately whether we want to admit it or not we need that reinforcement. All it takes is one little doubt, one little hesitation, one little insecurity and we find ourselves losing our strength and courage to go on as God intended for each of us.


Boy can’t you just see your name written all over that verse, I can. “Karen have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”


I must confess that with the recent diagnosis of breast and bone cancer I was frightened. What strength I had temporarily appeared to hide itself behind the diagnosis. The courage to go on looked a little bleak. But as usual God stepped in to give me my reminder that He had not forsaken me, He didn’t dump me along life’s road and go on to someone healthier. He was there with me, nothing had changed.


We need to remind ourselves of that simple truth right there, nothing has changed. God is with us He will never leave nor forsake us. The lies Satan tries to flash on the billboard of our lives telling us God has left us, He’s not really there, that we must have done something bad are just that, lies.


The more God reminds me of His love for me the more I need to remind myself that I accept that love. With that acceptance is the strength and courage to know that He is with me. It may not always mean a path of roses, blessings, laughter, lollipops and blissful joy but it means I’m never alone no matter what the journey. To me, as to Joshua that counts for more than anything else I could ever imagine.


God is with us wherever we go. That is a truth worth holding on to. A reminder worth repeating.



© 2010 Karen J Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

No comments: