Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I Can, Through Christ

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13




The night appeared to be a long one. The fight with my husband, the news of our finances, with the piles of other issues weighing upon me I turned to God’s word. Like magic my Bible opened up to Philippians 4:13. Well maybe it wasn’t so magical after all. Perhaps it was because I had been there so many times it left a permanent dent in that area of my Bible.


Although I know it by heart it did something to read it. It’s amazing how a small verse can carry such a large weight of influence. It is a bridge to many gaps and a life support system to people who often feel like they are dying within. An encouragement to those who are not like the storybook train named “Thomas” that made it up the hill saying, “I think I can, I think I can.”


I was the one who was always saying, “I know I can’t, I know I can’t,” but God through His word kept telling me “I can do all things.” The key to doing so was to do it through Christ who strengthens me. It was my own created strength that was failing me, not Christ’s. Like my mom reminding me over and over again to do my homework my heavenly Father through this one verse was reminding me, “I can, through Christ.”


Time and time again He would sit me down and go over the message frequently. “I can, through Christ” was the center of every lecture, the theme behind each talk my heart received. Once engrained in my mind the talk opened up to further things. The whole chapter of Philippians 4 that covered what Paul was talking about when he said, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”


Paul’s list of things were: rejoicing in the Lord always, being anxious for nothing, praying with thanksgiving, meditating on things that are pure, noble, and anything praiseworthy. After that he put the icing on the cake when he said he had learned to be content in all situations, whether hungry or full, in need or in want. In other words, Paul could do it all because it was Christ who was giving him the strength to do it.


Over the years Satan’s number one attack on me has been, “No you can’t.” It was up to me to listen or not. God told me I could through Christ. The winner of this tug-a-war would be determined by me. Was I going to listen to Satan or God? I had a choice to make for every situation I was in. I’m ashamed to say Satan won a few rounds. However, the true victory continues to go to God as He never stopped reminding me that, “yes I can, through Christ alone.”


Too often we think since Christ has the strength then He should just do it for me. That’s not what the verse says. It says, “I can.” I had my part to play, my part to fulfill and with the help of Christ it would be possible. All it needed was a little initiative on my part to keep moving forward up the hill of life chanting to myself, “Yes I can, yes I can, thanks to Christ.”


And there my wonderful readers, is why this verse in my heart makes my favorite list every time.




© 2011 Karen J Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

No comments: