Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Let the Adventure Begin


“I know a lot less about God, but the things I know about God, I know a whole lot more, for sure.” ~ Steven Curtis Chapman, on Larry King Live after the death of his 5-year-old daughter, Maria.

It’s interesting sometimes how circumstances in our lives have the tendency to bring out things in us both good and bad. One of those certain things is the issue of how well we know someone. Whether it is a love one we’re close to, a friend we hardly know, or even God himself.

Years ago I went through that very thing with my parents who I thought I knew all there was to know about them. Until…….until mom had her major stroke six years ago. At the time of the stroke because I was the one living the closest to them I got the honor of watching over them during mom’s recovery. Immediately I began to learn things about them both I never saw or noticed before. It turned out to be a real blessing.

Unable to talk and communicate her needs and wants I had to get to know her in order to try and figure out what she was thinking and what her likes and dislikes were. At times it was frustrating while other moments were full of love and laughter. As much as I would like to have my old mom back, the one who could talk and get around on her own I wouldn’t trade this time with her and dad for anything. It has been a great experience.

Often this is the way it is with God. We think we have the full knowledge of God when we find out otherwise as circumstances arise. Just because we can pass a Bible Trivia test we think we know Him inside and out but then things happen and suddenly things are different. What we knew becomes brighter and clearer and what we didn’t know at all comes to light.

The Chapman family being Christian based probably thought they knew everything there was to know about God. Much to their surprise they evidently had more to learn and the death of their precious child brought that out for them to experience.

Often our reaction when it comes to situations like Maria’s death, my mom’s stroke, or anything else is to turn on God not to Him. We push the blame on to Him for all of life’s struggles instead of opening our arms to the One who is there to see us through them.

As the picture of God grows bigger and bigger we realize just how little we know about Him. We should never underestimate that knowledge and its ability to grow. God is not someone we can fit in a small box or picture designed by us and our knowledge of Him at the time of the design.

If we would just take the time to get to know Him we’d probably be overwhelmed with what we learn. Given time, if I’m so blessed, I probably will eventually know all there is to know about my parents but with God it’s never ending. Let the adventure begin and most importantly let it never end either! The choice is ours.


Our host this day is Jennifer at
Scraps & Snippets and you really need to scoot on over there and let your knowledge begin!



© 2010 Karen J. Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

"God is not someone we can fit in a small box or picture designed by us and our knowledge of Him at the time of the design." So true, Karen!! Thanks so much for sharing this morning.

Anonymous said...

Karen
My mom also had a stroke many years ago, and watching her courage in dealing with "what she had left to work with" was a real source of inspiration to me.

Nope. Our box just isn't big enough to fit God into - but fortunately His arms are just the right size to fit us all into. have a blessed day. Marsha Y.

Miriam Pauline said...

"As the picture of God grows bigger and bigger we realize just how little we know about Him."
YES! This is it, the more I know, the more I see that I don't know. Great post Karen. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this week. Enjoyed reading about your mom, even with the hard times, I can see how it's made you grow.

Anonymous said...

Often this is the way it is with God. We think we have the full knowledge of God when we find out otherwise as circumstances arise...God is not someone we can fit in a small box

Perfectly said.

Thank you