Saturday, April 14, 2007

Welcome Home

The funeral for my dear friend was over, on the journey home I was left to myself to think about where she was right now, up in heaven with Jesus. The vision of her meeting with Jesus for the first time made me think of my own reunion that will some day take place. What was it going to be like I wondered? Was it all that I could imagine it to be and even more? What if my imagination failed me for the first time in my life and I had the picture all wrong?

Once I got home I pulled out my Bible and turned to the book of Revelation 4:1-10 to see a fraction of what John’s vision looked like to get me started on my own image of my initial meeting with Jesus. In spite of my over-active imagination I was finding it hard to picture what it would be like to meet Christ for the first time, I have to admit that picturing Jesus in the manger was much easier for me, maybe because I was born on a ranch I don’t know. I could only imagine and therefore I did.

There before me was a door standing open in heaven and the first voice I heard speaking to me sounding like a trumpet said, "Come up here, Karen. I want to show you Heaven." At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it who had the appearance of jasper and a reddish brown gem, I knew it had to be God who always dwelled in “unapproachable light” as seen in the reflected brilliance of precious stones, emerald, and a rainbow that had itself wrapped around the throne like a halo, how totally awesome. The beautiful rainbow I fell in love with on earth was seen here in heaven as well, it was breathtaking to see such beauty.

Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones with elders sitting upon them dressed in white with crowns of gold on their heads. From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. I remembered once hearing that these were symbols of the awesome majesty and power of God as they always marked important events connected with the heavenly temple and this was definitely a very significant occasion. It was nothing like the lightning I had seen on earth, and what people jokingly thought would strike them if they ever showed up in church.

Before the throne I saw seven blazing lamps which were the seven spirits of God. True status symbols of completeness, fullness, and perfection that they represented. Also there was what looked like a sea of glass that was clear as crystal. Other features of the temple I saw were the lamps, the Ark of the Covenant, and angelic beings whose task was to guard the heavenly throne and lead in worship and adoration of God. Everywhere I turned people were giving glory, honor and thanks to Him who sat on the throne as they did this the twenty-four elders fell down before Him and worshipped the One who lives for ever and ever as they laid their crowns before the throne while continually saying “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.”

I couldn’t help but join in this worship time of my Lord and Savior. Finally it was my chance and opportunity to meet with Jesus. Quietly standing in awe before Him I dropped to my knees to worship Him right as I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"

Turning His head towards me Jesus smiled that gentle loving smile I had pictured correctly in my heart as He reached out to touch my face, mopping up every tear I had drenching my cheeks with His nail scarred hand like He had done all my life, as He said to me, “Remember Karen, no more tears, you’re in heaven now. No more tears. Welcome home.”

Dear Heavenly Father praise you that it doesn’t matter what our picture looks like right now, what counts is the faith and trust it’s painted with using the canvas of our hearts. That’s what believing is all about, knowing that some day we will get to see. May we all be ready in our hearts for the trip home. We love you Lord and thanks! Amen.

© 2006 by Karen J. Gillett @ Pencil Marks and Recipes Publishing

No comments: