Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Profit or Loss

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 1 Peter 2:24 (NIV)

Years ago when I was successfully cured of my epilepsy I often thought about how wonderful it would be if my restoration of health could have been the cure-all for epileptics’ world wide. Not to be some kind of heroine but in order for others to have a chance at being liberated from their seizures opening wide a door only one would have to go through for the months of testing to qualify for the surgery, bear the cost, endure the pain, to be wounded in order for others to be healed.

Boy wouldn’t that make headline news if the morning after my surgery people around the globe woke up seizure free. It made for a good sincere dream for my fellow epileptics I met along my journey that didn’t have a chance at a cure. With one dream and thought leading to another I soon found myself meditating on Christ and what He did for mankind world wide in order that we may be healed from the diseases caused by sin. What He did was not just a heartfelt vision but something legitimately real where His wounds opened the door to a healing that would set many people free.

The blood I shed that day under the knife of a surgeon meant nothing to anyone but the person who had to clean it up. The blood that Christ shed on the cross tells a different story, it was for the well-being of mankind as a whole as He connected us to a lifeline for all who believe. In the first part of Psalm 30:9 in the Amplified Bible it questions “What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit (the grave)?” With Christ’s blood we are the ones to benefit as our profit is Satan’s loss.

My focus as I went through the process of obtaining my cure was to be free from the disease that had me disabled for 12 years. It would have been nice for my husband, daughter, close family and friends who unconditionally watched over me for so long to have me cured but I have to confess it was all about me.

Christ that day had you and me in mind when He underwent the task He did to heal us. It wasn’t all about Him it was all about us and the pathway to grace He was opening up for all to enter while at the same time closing the door in Satan’s face and the power of death.

As Peter said in Acts 4:10 regarding a crippled man that was healed “…It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.” Amen! This is the profit, we are the ones who stand to gain from the blood of Christ, it was about us and our ability to stand healed before the world, ourselves, and God.

How badly we want it shows up in how earnestly we go after the cure of all cures profiting in our spiritual lives from the shed blood on Calvary’s Cross. Profit or loss the choice is ours on which one we want as we allow the wounds of Christ to heal and deliver us from a disease we are all infested with, sin.

Dear Heavenly Father thank you Lord once more for sending Your Son to do a task that we couldn’t do. For Christ’s willingness to be wounded in order that we may be saved in a time we needed Him the most. May we always know that there is profit in Your blood and we have the option to be shareholders of that profit. A gift we could never earn; an act of kindness we didn’t deserve. Thanks so much for loving us Lord. We love You! Amen.


© 2007 by Karen J. Gillett

No comments: